Thursday 1 May 2014

Borton's Framework Guiding Reflective Activities

Borton's Framework Guiding Reflective Activities

This reflective model is very simple and often used as the first step on the ladder of the reflective
practitioner. This model encompasses three simple questions to be asked of the experience or
activity to be reflected on, what? So what? Now what? Jasper (2003) Endorses the use of this
model by novice practitioners and students as this model allows novices to reflect in the “real
world of practice”, therefore allowing novices to be analytical of their
developing practice.


What?
Examples
This is the description
What was the problem?
What was my role?
What happened?
What did I do?


So What?
Examples
This is the analysis
What was so important about this experience?
What did I learn?


Now What?

This is the Synthesis
Now what do I need to do?
Now what might be the consequences of my actions?
Now what do i do to resolve the situation/make it better/improve my patients care?

(Jasper, M. (2003). Bortons’ (1970) framework.)

No comments:

Post a Comment